Chiropractors are often a “go-to” for many adults when it comes to reducing pain or maintaining overall health. Chiropractic care is also becoming a common trend among parents. Many parents are opting to take their little ones to a chiropractor for common childhood ailments and to maintain overall health. In fact, CNN recently wrote an article on “TheTop 10 Benefits of Chiropractic Care in Children.” CNN’s “top 10” are as follows:
1. To encourage their child’s optimal brain and nerve development.
2. To support their child’s nerve communication throughout the body for optimal health and wellness.
3. To help strengthen their child’s immunity – encouraging fewer colds, ear-aches and general illness.
4. To help resolve breastfeeding issues with their child.
5. To help resolve their child’s crying/colic issues.
6. To support the digestive strength of their child.
7. To diminish nerve interference which may impact their child’s capacity to learn and concentrate.
8. To help resolve their child’s poor posture, asthma, allergies and bed-wetting.
9. To deepen their child’s sleep and be more well rested.
10. To balance the overall energy of their child.
Those that are not as familiar with chiropractic may question how chiropractic care is beneficial for children.
While some people believe chiropractors to be “spine doctors,” their specialty is actually within the field of neurology. The nervous system is the master controller of our body and is responsible for every function within the human body. During a child’s life, the largest brain development happens between birth and age two. A chiropractor’s goal is to optimize brain and nerve development during the most critical of times for both neurological and physical development by removing subluxations. A subluxation is a misalignment of the spinal vertebrae that interfere with the nerves that carry messages from the brain to each organ and body system.
If subluxations are left untreated, parents may notice symptoms that include: colic or irritability, nursing difficulties, poor sleep habits, ear infections, chronic colds/flu, ADD/ADHD, digestive issues, asthma and headaches.
Going to a pediatric chiropractor is different then following the traditional medical model. Unlike, the allopathic model which relies heavily on prescription medications, the chiropractic model is vitalistic and restores health without the use of medicine. The vitalistic model’s approach is allow all of the systems within the body to function optimally.
One of the most common questions that parents ask is “What does a chiropractic adjustment for a child consist of?” Chiropractic for kids is extremely gentle. Imagine taking your pinky finger to test the ripeness of a tomato, that is the same amount of force that goes into adjusting a baby’s spine. To find the best chiropractor in Charlotte who specializes in pediatric care in your area visit www.Icpa4kids.com.