More than 4 million Americans suffer from daily headaches. When they are recurring, most people learn to live with them or lessen their severity with medications. As time passes, the headaches often become a variant similar to reading glasses or pregnancy related morning sickness. The normalcy is what makes it easy to overlook a more serious condition. While the following list does not represent all of the symptoms of a deeper issue, at the very least this list does elicit the ones that need further testing from a physician.
What changes in headache symptoms symbolize a deeper issue?
1)-A headache accompanied by:
altered facial features such as drooping eyelid, mouth or cheek
altered mental state including confusion or a different temperament
numbness or tingling
2)-Any headache that appears following a head injury, even if it appears to be minor, should be evaluated.
3)-A headache should also be evaluated if it changes in its intensity or typical pattern.
Most Common Sources of Recurring Tension Headaches
- Spinal misalignments—Most commonly related to the C1 vertebra. Seek out a Charlotte Chiropractor who can both correct the spinal alignment and balance the soft tissue related to headaches.
- Dehydration—Opinions vary on how much water we should be drinking daily, but the most accepted recommendation for adults includes eight-8 oz glasses.
- Stress—A stressful day filled with neck and shoulder tension constricts blood flow to the head. In this case, a headache is a result of a decrease in blood flow to the brain.
- Diet—Triggers such as monosodium glutamate (MSG) and aspartame having commonly been related to headaches.
- Caffeine—Too much or too little (withdrawal).
While some headaches are stress induced and others represent a more serious problem such as a stroke, the one similarity that all headaches share is representation. All headaches represent a problem within the human body and recurring headaches should not be ignored or lived with. Dr. Bob Mason has helped thousands of headache sufferers in Charlotte by identifying the root cause(s) of their headaches. He has helped many of his patients reduce the frequency and intensity while others have eliminated them completely! Click the link at the top of this page (book an appointment) to find out if Dr. Bob can help you.