Headaches can not only alter your daily life, but also become debilitating if they become frequent. Tension headaches are the most common and strike 1/20 adults in the United States on a daily basis! Migraines are typically more painful and 1/7 adults suffer from migraines at least once a month. There are many different types of headache medications including OTC and prescriptions. As more adults question the side effects of long term medication use, natural home remedies are growing in popularity. While there are many home remedies, these are my favorites:
- Peppermint or Lavender Oil- Massaged into your temples to ease muscle tension.
- Butterbur- (75 mg 2x daily for 1 month) This natural herb has been used by migraine doctors for many years by reducing inflammation.
- Supplement Flaxseed.-Add 1 teaspoon to oatmeal, yogurt or water.
- Ginger- Grind up a teaspoon of ginger, mix it with warm water and drink it at the first sign of a headache.
- Drink plenty of water-8oz of water every 2 hours.
- Avoid Monosodium Glutamate (MSG). It is listed in the ingredients on food packaging. MSG has many aliases such as Autolyzed, Hydrolyzed, Glutamic Acid.
- Chiropractic Care focused on the upper cervical spine relieves pressure from the spinal cord and associated nerves and normally produces great results in treating and preventing headaches. A new Dutch study of chronic tension headaches compared treatment from medical providers in general practice (GP) to chiropractic. That study concluded that “Chiropractic Therapy is more effective than usual general practice care in the short- and longer term in reducing symptoms of chronic tension headaches.”
Check out SPECIAL DISCOUNTED OFFER at Active Life Chiropractic and take advantage of a special discounted rate for new patients.